Millipedes are from the arthropods group of insects. Their name is derived from Latin meaning “A Thousand Legs” although there is no found record of a millipede containing this many legs. There are many species of millipedes and although creepy, they harness little or no harm to humans. Millipedes mainly live in subterranean dwellings and are a concern for garden plants and vegetables as they feed primarily off of a plant-based diet.
Millipedes tend to live in damp and dark places around your home. Dead leaf piles, mulch, flower beds, under rocks and in crawl spaces. Millipedes thrive on moisture and when the summer heat takes away their water reserves, they migrate together inside in search of water and damp spots to live. Millipedes run very rampant in Atlanta during the hot summer months and can infest your home without warning.
How To Prevent Millipedes From Entering Your Home
Millipedes dwell in debris around your foundation and in crawlspaces under your home. To prevent millipedes from entering and infesting your home, it is advised to take these precautions.
- Inspect your foundation and crawlspaces and remove any build-up of moisture, plant matter, old wood piles, stones, and debris.
- Check to make sure your gutter system is functioning properly and not clogged. Excess water that lands near your foundation will attract millipedes.
- Make sure you do not have any broken pipes, leaking faucets, or drainage issues inside your home. This is the first place millipedes will come to seak water.
- If you have an irrigation system for your lawn, make sure all rotors and spray heads are working correctly and not pooling water in sections of your yard.
- Try to regulate the humidity in your crawlspace with ventilation.
- Caulk and seal any gaps, cracks, and openings that lead into your home from the outside.
Hire A Professional Pest Control Service
A regularly scheduled pest maintenance service will help mitigate millipedes and other pests from entering your home. Pest control services are trained to use the proper treatments and methods to safely and effectively treat your home and property.
Professional Pest Control In Atlanta, GA
At Any Pest, Inc we adhere to the highest standards and stay up-to-date on the latest industry technology and information. We offer free consultations, prompt service and customize all plans to meet your specific needs. For a more environmentally-friendly approach, inquire about our botanical and Eco-friendly pest control products. We have affordable pest control plans for the protection of your home and family and offer referral discounts for customers with existing or recurring service agreements – call us today for a free consultation!
Why Are There Millipedes In My Home? in Kennesaw, GA and beyond!
Proudly serving Cobb County and the Atlanta Metro Area. Any bug, Any Pest.