Spring and warmer weather are finally starting to settle in. With the warmer weather comes more pests invading your home. The garage is an ideal shelter for pests looking for protection from the outdoors. If you’re wondering how to keep insects and bugs out of your garage, there are a variety of solutions. The best way to keep bugs away is to keep your garage clean and free of temptations such as food, water, and nesting spaces. Here, Any Pest discusses ways to keep unwanted pests out of your garage this Spring and Summer.
Pest Prevention For Your Garage
- Declutter – Keep your garage organized and clean. When your garage isn’t a mess, it can be easy to spot pest infestations. Use durable and reliable storage bins or other containers to keep pests and bugs from nesting in your garage. Make sure you check your items and storage containers for pests before putting them away.
- Minimize Moisture – Bugs need water to survive. Don’t allow your garage to be a feeding area for unwanted pests. Inspect your garage for any leaky pipes, standing water, or condensation. If you find that your garage is moist, be sure to invest in a dehumidifier.
- Remove Food – Along with water, pests tend to swarm your garage in search of food. Don’t let your garage be a feeding ground! Sweep up crumbs immediately. Invest in seal tight trash cans and be sure to tie up all your used garbage bags.
- Weatherproofing – Seal up cracks around your windows, doors, and garage door to prevent pests from making their way into your garage. You may use silicone caulk, weatherstrips, and rubber seals for this project. If you can see light coming through cracks, a pest can make it through themselves. Patch up all potential entrances from unwanted pests.
- Use Pest Control Services – Our Any Pest technicians can help you find and remove existing pests. We also help identify conditions that may be attracting pests to your garage or home. We offer reliable pest control services, applying a specialized spray around the garage to keep insects away. Give us a call today!
Common Garage Pests
Pests that infest your garage can range from flies to a complete rodent infestation. Below are some of the most common garage pests:
- Mice – These smaller rodents typically nest in boxes and wall gaps during cold months. Over time they can multiply and infest your garage throughout the Spring and Summer. This can pose a threat to your property.
- Spiders – These pests are among the most common. A garage is an ideal spider habitat. When other pests find their way in, spiders can use them as food. It’s crucial to remove spider webs as soon as you see them.
- Flies – Flies are attracted to strong odors. The best way to avoid a fly infestation is to keep your garage free of pungent smells and food. Seal all lids and remove food and water.
- Crickets – During the Spring and Summer, crickets are drawn to a cool and shaded garage. Due to their nature. they are able to make their way up to the highest storage containers.
- Silverfish – These small bugs are very versatile. They can easily make their way under doors and through small cracks. Food and loose clutter easily attract these pests, as they feed on anything from meat to cloth.
- Sowbugs – Sowbugs are attracted to cool, damp, and wet spaces because they’re unable to retain moisture in their bodies. Remove water and moisture to minimize an infestation.
Best Time To Clean Your Garage
The simple answer: ANYTIME! Keeping your garage clean and sealed throughout the year is the best way to keep pest infestations to a minimum. Cleaning your garage will prevent pests from finding small and hidden spaces to hunker down in throughout each season.
Call Any Pest Today
We have treated homes for pest infestations since 1989, so you can expect quality service from our experienced residential pest technicians. Our exterminators are skilled, professional, and ethical, and are all trained to address each of your residential pest questions and concerns. Our friendly service and thorough pest treatments prove that customer satisfaction is paramount to our success. We focus on treating the bugs outside of your home, and stopping them before they can get inside, reducing the number of treatments needed inside your home. We provide continual training to ensure that all of our residential pest technicians constantly exceed industry standards. Give us a call today for service!