Springtime is a wonderful time of year. It brings warm weather, rain and blooming flowers. With the warm weather and moisture, Springtime brings bugs and wildlife that want to make a nest in your home. While we definitely recommend calling the professionals at Any Pest for your pest control needs, there are still a number of things you can do to help prevent Spring bugs. Here we discuss some simple tips to prepare your home against pests this season.
Most Common Spring Bugs & Pests
- Ants – Ants are attracted to warm temperatures and moisture, making springtime ideal for them to thrive. Ants are typically small and brown or black, often forming trails as they search for food.
- Spiders – Some spider species can be very dangerous. They often emerge from their hiding places in the spring to mate and search for food.
- Bees & Wasps – These pests are not only a nuisance but can also be dangerous. Bees and wasps often emerge from their hives or nests to mate and search for food in the Spring.
- Termites – Termites are very common spring pests that can cause serious damage to your home. They are often found in damp or humid areas like crawl spaces and feed on wood and other cellulose-based materials.
- Mosquitoes – These pests carry diseases like the West Nile virus and Zika virus. They are attracted to standing water and warm temperatures, making spring months ideal for them to breed and multiply.
Preparing Your Home Against Pests
Identify Potential Infestations
The first and most important thing to do to combat pests this Spring season, is to identify the problems before they get out of hand. Look for the initial signs of pests in your home or business. Be on the lookout for such things as droppings, nests or even chewed on wires. Once you find these telltale signs, it’s time to call Any Pest. One of our trained technicians will come out and do a thorough inspection and give you the best plan to combat your pest problems.
Seal Up Cracks & Entry Points
The next best thing to do to combat Spring bugs is to seal up any cracks or entry points into your home or business. Anything the size of a dime, a pest can fit through. It is truly amazing how small they can get their bodies and removing these entrances can cut down on them entering your home.
Keep Your Home Clean
This tip is fairly self-explainable. The cleaner your home is the less likely they have to feed on or hide in. Keep all food (pet and human) in sealed containers to prevent pests from having a food source to eat. Once pests like mice get into a pantry and start feasting, they will be back again and again to fill their bellies. Some species will even chew through bags and eat their way into boxes. Removing these temptations can help prevent Spring infestations.
Clean Your Gutters
This is one thing that many people neglect. Once your gutters start to overflow, they begin to build up with water and other material that can be a food or water source for many Spring bugs. Pests like ants, mosquitoes and even cockroaches will nest in your gutters and multiply over time. From there an infestation can find its way into your home.
Remove Standing Water
Similar to clogged gutters, standing water around your property becomes a breeding zone for pests like mosquitoes. These areas need to be drained and taken care of before the pest infestation gets worse. Not only standing water but leaking water can be a water source for ants, cockroaches and even mice. Check your property for leaking and cracked pipes or dripping faucets. If you find one, be sure to take care of it immediately.
Keep Up With Your Landscaping
Poor landscaping can actually affect your pest control problem in a negative way. An overgrown lawn will quickly become home to these Spring bugs. If you have pets, poor landscaping not only can cause an infestation but can be dangerous for them as well. Such pests like fleas, ticks, rodents and even snakes can hide in tall brush and attack your pets without you knowing. Additionally, it’s recommended to trim back any bushes or tree limbs that touch or hang over your home. These allow bugs and pests to get onto your roof and access your gutters or chimneys easier.
Call The Professionals At Any Pest!
Spring is a time to be enjoyed with family and friends without the annoyance of Spring bugs. You can protect your property and health by identifying common spring pests and taking steps to prevent and control infestations. If you have a pest control problem, don’t hesitate to contact Any Pest for help. With these helpful tips in mind, you can enjoy a pest-free Spring season.