LAST UPDATED 1/8/19
Ants have arguably one of the greatest success stories in the history of animals. Being able to lift up to 50 times their own body weight, having the longest lifetime of all insects, and, let’s not forget, being the star of multiple blockbusters, ants are incredibly interesting creatures. In addition, a queen ant can live up to 30 years.
However, these insects aren’t so fascinating when you discover a lengthy trail of ants in your car. Why are there ants in my car? Where did they come from? Do ants cause damages? Why are ants coming through my dashboard? Keep reading to learn the answer to these outstanding ant questions.
Why are there ants in my car?
Ants move into your car to search for one thing— food! Discovering a trail of ants in your car can immediately evoke alarm and panic. But it is important to note that it is highly improbable ants are entering your vehicle with intentions of moving in permanently. Instead of looking for a new habitat, ants are simply searching for one thing and one thing only…and that’s food.
If you’re asking yourself, “Why are there ants in my car?” and you have spotted ants in your vehicle or ants coming through your dashboard— there are two possibilities:
1) The worker ants were sent in to search for food.
2) Bingo! The ants found food. The food source has been discovered and the worker ants are bringing the food back to their colony.
If there is not a food source in your car, it is likely the ants will move out because their search was unsuccessful. However, if a food source is discovered, different tactics need to be taken. One would think that getting rid of the food would work and get rid of the ants in your car. However, once ants are inside your car, simply removing the food source may be difficult.
If you are curious what types of ants are in your car keep reading.
What type of ants are in my car?
While it is not vital, it may be beneficial to correctly identify the type of ants in your car. There are many types of ants, and different ants require different methods of eviction. An accurate identification may be achieved with your own research, or it may be best to contact your local pest control expert for guidance.
Now, how to get rid of ants in car?
We have determined there is an ant problem in your car. Now, it is important to identify and rid the food source. This could be anything from an old candy wrapper, a single Chick-fil-a french fry, or an empty Red Bull can.
Follow these tips to get rid of ants in the car:
1. Move your car. Parking under a tree or next to an ant hill may elicit ant voyagers to head into your car, but, if there is no food source, the ants will make their way out. If you are able to move parking spots at work or in an apartment complex, do so.
2. Get rid of all trash in your car. Search through your car and throw away any wrappers and packaging.
3. Vacuum thoroughly.
Once you have thrown away all possible food sources in your car, thoroughly vacuum and clean the upholstery. Considering ants are extremely tiny creatures, focus on the cracks and small crevices around your car.
4. Clean your tires and wheels. Since your tires connect your car to the pavement, this is the contact ground for ants to enter your car. Treating your tires chemically will deter ants from climbing on your wheels and tires and thus entering your car.
5. Put ant traps in your car. If the other methods did not rid the ants, place ant traps under the seat to deter and capture these nuisance pests.
Do you need help treating an ant infestation?
Maintaining a motto of “if there’s a will, there’s a way”, ants are determined to find a way into your car, regardless if there is food or not. If there is food, they will stay. Prevention is better than a cure, so it is best to always maintain a clean car! These tips should help treat an ant infestation in your car, but if you’re unable to get rid of your unwelcome car passengers, be sure to contact a pest control professional to remove them. If you suspect a pest infestation in your home, contact Lookout Pest Control, formerly Any Pest Inc., today for a free estimate!
Affordable Plans For
Get your complimentary quote by phone and be one-step closer to pest-free living. We will create a service plan that best fits your needs and a state-certified pest control professional will perform thorough service.
I Have Ants In My Car — Help! in Kennesaw, GA and beyond!
Proudly serving Cobb County and the Atlanta Metro Area. Any bug, Lookout Pest Control.