What do mosquitoes do? Itch! Mosquitoes can be dangerous to your health, and they carry viruses that transmit diseases like West Nile Virus, Zika, and yellow fever. And they are a real nuisance in the summer, especially if you like to spend time outside.
If you have mosquitoes on your property, there are ways to get rid of them before they become a significant problem. During mosquito season, you should have Mosquito repellent in your home or cottage. Using these natural methods will provide an effective barrier for your yard so you can still enjoy being outdoors at night without being bitten by mosquitoes. Get rid of mosquitoes on your property today, and enjoy tomorrow!
Mosquitoes lay their eggs in standing water, so it will be easier to keep mosquitoes at bay if you eliminate all of the standing water on your property. It would help if you kept any flowerpots, rain gutters, and birdbaths free of water. Any puddles of water that form around your house should be drained or filled with sand or gravel so that they do not provide a breeding ground for mosquitoes.
Affordable Plans For
Get your complimentary quote by phone and be one-step closer to pest-free living. We will create a service plan that best fits your needs and a state-certified pest control professional will perform thorough service.
Eliminate all standing water on your property. If you have a pool or pond on your property, be sure that it is properly maintained and chlorinated. Check for leaking pipes and make sure gutters are cleaned out regularly. Remove items that hold standing water, such as tires, buckets, toys, etc., from your yard (ponds and other water features should be kept clean).
Seal cracks and holes in the exterior of your home with caulk or silicone sealant to prevent mosquitoes from entering through these cracks.
Replace outdoor lights with yellow light bulbs, which are less attractive to mosquitoes than other colors. If you can’t change out your lights, use mosquito repellent coils or candles, which release chemicals inhaled by mosquitoes and repel them from your yard or patio space.
Mosquitoes are attracted to certain scents, like those found in many flowers. Planting herbs, flowers, and vegetables that repel mosquitoes around your home will help keep them away from you.
Some of the best plants include:
- Basil – Basil is an excellent mosquito repellent because it contains a robust and spicy fragrance that keeps them away. Plant it near doorways or patios to create a barrier for mosquitoes as they try to enter the house.
- Peppermint – Peppermint is a powerful repelling agent for mosquitoes, and it contains menthol, which can be added to candles or used as an essential oil to repel insects naturally.
- Catnip (Nepeta cataria) – While catnip isn’t as effective as basil at keeping mosquitoes away, it does have some useful qualities when planted near the house. Catnip has been shown to repel flies and insects such as ticks and moths due partly to its aroma, mimicking cats’ pheromones.
- Citronella grass – Citronella grass is a popular plant used in pots or in your yard to prevent mosquitoes. And it has a citrus scent and grows well in warm climates.
- Lavender – Lavender is another strong-scented plant that will help keep mosquitoes away from your property. It also comes in many varieties with different colors and sizes, so you can find one that fits perfectly into your landscape design plans.
- Marigolds (Tagetes patula) – Marigolds have been used for centuries as insect repellent because they contain pyrethrins, which act as natural pesticides against insects like fleas, ticks, and other biting bugs like mosquitos!
Coffee grounds are one of the best natural mosquito repellents. They contain a chemical called “caffeic acid” that is known to be an effective natural insecticide and repellent. Place several tablespoons of coffee grounds near windows and doors or in flower pots or hanging baskets near where you plan to spend time outside. You can also mix the grounds with water and spray them on yourself before going out.
Citronella candles effectively keep mosquitoes away from your outdoor activities because they emit their own scent, which is a natural repellent for these pesky insects. You can also place citronella oil on cotton balls or dried mint leaves around your house or patio area for even more protection from mosquitoes.
Trim Shrubs and Trees
This is probably the most effective way to repel mosquitoes on your property. Mosquitoes like tall vegetation because it provides shade and shelter from predators. If you don’t want to cut down all of your plants, trim back some of the branches that hang over your home or patio area. Mosquitoes won’t be able to hide in tall shrubs anymore!
You may not like the look of screens on doors and windows, but they’re worth it if they keep out mosquitoes. Screens are inexpensive and easy to install on doors, windows, porches, and patios. They’re well worth considering to keep out pests like mosquitoes without spraying chemicals around your home or yard.
Mosquito Control With Lookout Pest Control, formerly Any Pest Inc.
You will be able to receive professional mosquito control treatments that are tailored to your home or business. In addition, our botanical treatment is applied to the bushes, shrubs, trees, and all common natural surfaces around your home. The treatment can also be applied to natural water sources where mosquitoes breed.
One of the best ways to prevent mosquitoes from breeding on your property is to drain any standing water. The eggs are most commonly laid on the surface of standing water, so by draining that water. You break the life cycle of that mosquito population. You want to keep those bloodsuckers away, but you also want to keep your family safe. We are also specialists for more pest control needs.
If you are looking for professional mosquito control, contact Lookout Pest Control today!
How To Prevent Mosquitoes On Your Property in Kennesaw, GA and beyond!
Proudly serving Cobb County and the Atlanta Metro Area. Any bug, Lookout Pest Control.