Ant infestations happen all year long. If not treated in a timely manner, a small ant problem can quickly turn into a big ant issue. Noticing the early signs of an ant infestation is critical. Ant infestations are a serious problem for homeowners in the metro-Atlanta area. Seeking help from a professional ant pest control company is the best course of action.
Early Signs Of An Ant Problem
Some ants will build their colonies within a home, but others migrate indoors after starting their nests in the areas around the home. This is typically seen by a mound or other identifying factors. Here are a few signs to determine whether or not you may have a ant problem.
- Ants In Food – If ants are present, they will quickly sniff out the leftover food and start to carry it away. Dog food dishes will also bring ants into the home.
- Noticeable Colony or Mound – Ants will travel long distances to look for food, so walking across your yard to the kitchen is not a problem. While there may only be a few ants on the surface of the colony, do not be fooled. Beneath the mound of dirt, thousands of ants are lurking.
- Hollow Walls – Carpenter ants are primarily active at night, so you may hear rustling noises as they build their nests. You could also try knocking on your walls to see if they sound hollow. If you know that the wall was once made of solid wood, a hollow sound indicates a carpenter ant or a termite infestation.
- Damp Areas In Your Home – Look for carpenter ants near your bathroom and your kitchen. They will also hide anywhere that has a leak like a faulty faucet or outdoor pipe. These ants love to be around rotted wood, so remove any rotting lumber or firewood from around your home.
Types Of Ants
- Acrobat Ants – Worker ants are about 2.5 to 3 millimeters long with two nodes. Their color varies from yellow-brown to brown and red-black to all black.
- Argentine Ants – Worker ants are about 2.2 to 2.8 millimeters long and have one node. Their color varies from light to dark brown.
- Asian Needle Ants – Worker ants are about 5 millimeters long and have one node. They are brown-black with dark orange mandibles.
- Carpenter Ants – Multiple variations of this species exist in the US. The average length of workers is between 6 and 13 millimeters.
- Crazy Ants – Workers are 2.2 to 3 millimeters long with one node. They are black-brown with extremely long legs and antennae.
- Dark Rover Ants – The average length of this ant is about 1.6 millimeters. They have one node for their body and are medium to dark brown in color.
- European Fire Ants – Workers are about 4 to 5 millimeters long. These ants have two nodes and can vary in color, although most are a light reddish-brown.
- Field Ants – Workers vary in size from 4 to 8 millimeters long. They have one node and also come in a variety of colors including black, brown, yellow-brown and mixed red.
Ant Control & Prevention
At Any Pest, Inc we provide expert pest control for any problem you may have with an ant infestation. We can identify the problem and ensure that you get rid of all of the ants causing damage to your home. Furthermore, we can help to prevent future infestations so that you won’t have to worry about ants in the future. Call us or contact us online for a free estimate today!