There Are Bed Bugs In My Home! What Do I Do Next?
In order for a pest control company to provide the best quality service, it is important that the homeowners are aware of the need to prepare their home in advance of the actual bed bug treatment. Here are a few steps to help prepare!
What to do before the pest company arrives?
- Secure any private, valuable, or important items. The company will be going through closets, opening, drawers, etc.
- Remove any pets and seal any fish tanks (turn off filter and air supply and wrap tank with plastic wrap).
- Be prepared to vacate the residence during service for 4 or more hours.
- Unlock all doors in the unit being serviced so all areas are accessible for service.
- DO NOT strip linens from beds.
- DO NOT move beds or other furniture.
- DO NOT bring new furniture into the unit until they declare that the bugs have been eliminated.
What to do after a treatment?
A common question and concern after a bed bug treatment is what do I do now. Since it is often the first time they have had an infestation, residents are unsure of when they can enter the home, and how soon they can sleep on their bed again. Here are some things to expect after a bed bug treatment:
- Following service remove dust ruffles (if present), keep sheets on and do not hang anything over headboards or foot boards.
- Items you own may be sealed in trash bags that must be cleaned in a hot water cycle and/or placed in a dryer on high heat. Wash any bagged items as soon as possible.
- Following service avoid storing any items under, on top of, or immediately adjacent to beds and upholstered furniture until the infestation has been eliminated.