As the weather gets warmer, more pests like cockroaches are coming out and seeking food and shelter in your home or business. Taking preventative measures before you have a full-blown cockroach infestation is necessary. If you wait until an infestation is obvious, it’s likely already too late. Minimizing or containing them on your own can be difficult and lead to worse issues regarding your home and health. That’s why it’s important to look out for the early signs and take steps to prevent a cockroach infestation before you even think you have one. Looking for cockroach pest control services? Give us a call today!
Cockroach Infestation Dangers
The main problems of an infestation come from the dangers that cockroaches pose. From diseases and damage, cockroaches are more than just annoying pests. Cockroach infestations pose serious risks Below are some of the most serious issues associated with a cockroach infestation:
- Health Hazard: The most serious side effect of a cockroach infestation is the diseases it can carry. Cockroaches are known to spread salmonella and plague, among many other dangerous diseases.
- Property Damage: Cockroaches have been known to chew through building materials to access your home or business.
- Growing Infestation: A single cockroach can quickly turn into an entire infestation. Cockroaches lay multiple eggs at a time and can breed hundreds of offspring in a lifetime.
Six Early Signs Of An Infestation
Are you dealing with cockroaches in your home? Not sure if it’s just one or a whole infestation. Here are several early signs you should look out for:
1. Visible Activity
Cockroaches typically come out during the night. Many are searching for a source of food or water when the home or business is the quietest. With that being said, if you see them running across your floor during the day, it’s likely that you’ve got a cockroach infestation in your home.
2. A Nasty Smell
Cockroaches give off a variety of odorous smells. If you notice an oily or musty smell that lasts a good amount of time, there’s a good chance that you’re dealing with an infestation.
3. Visible Droppings
Finding droppings in your home or business is a dead giveaway that you have a pest issue to deal with. Whether it be a single pile of droppings or several, they are an easy sign that a professional pest control company is needed. Cockroach droppings look like ground pepper/coffee grounds and are commonly found in drawers or on countertops. Their fecal matter may even cause dark stains in the corners of the rooms in your home.
4. Dead Cockroaches
If you find a dead cockroach, it’s pretty likely that there are more nearby. Most likely alive and infesting your home. Not only a full body but a shed skin of a living cockroach can indicate an infestation as well.
5. Bite Marks
Cockroaches are similar to mice in a few ways. Mainly they have to eat, and unfortunately, they eat a lot of household things. If you notice small bite marks on boxes, little scoops of food gone or chew marks, it could be that you have roaches, or mice or both.
6. Allergic Reaction
The presence of cockroaches is not good for your overall health. Their exoskeletons and droppings contain proteins that some people are allergic to when exposed. Most of the time, these symptoms are respiratory in nature. Some of the most common ones include:
- Difficulty breathing
- Tightness in your chest
- Red, Itchy eyes
What To Do After Finding A Cockroach Infestation
After you find a cockroach infestation in your home or business, what should you do next? There are a few steps you should take to help minimize cockroach reproduction and protect yourself from illness.
- Search for a “pest control near me” to find your local pest control company like Any Pest for assistance.
- Keep surfaces clean and practice good sanitation. If you are unsure of an area, clean it anyways.
- Don’t leave out dirty dishes. Cockroaches love to feed off the leftovers left on plates and silverware.
- Put all perishable food, including pet food, in sealed containers.
- When taking out the trash, place it in a sealed container outside.
- Seal any and all entry points around pipes in moist areas like the bathroom or laundry room.
- Seal all entry points on the exterior of your home or business. Cockroaches can flatten their bodies and get through the tiniest cracks so this is very important to minimize activity.
Need Cockroach Control? Call Us Today!
Cockroach infestations are no joke. Not only are cockroaches disgusting and a nuisance, but they are known for spreading illness and even creating allergic reactions. Don’t let your cockroach infestation get out of hand. Any Pest will treat the source of your cockroach infestation and prevent them from returning in the future. Give us a call today to learn more about pricing and service availability. One of our trained and professional technicians will be out there ASAP to help with your residential or commercial issue.
Cockroach Infestation: What Are The Early Signs in Kennesaw, GA and beyond!
Proudly serving Cobb County and the Atlanta Metro Area. Any bug, Any Pest.